Would You Like To See The Process?: Part One


Monday I shared my plans here. Now I thought I'd share how I've been implementing this plan.  I mention in this previous post, I start with my assessment plan first. This process happens in 2-3 week cycles. Usually after data meetings with the team. Given all data from intervention and classroom teachers I have a good starting point. 

After Reading Recovery training,  a Master's in Literacy, and ten years' experience as an interventionist I've come to discover that, like most things in life,  learning must be approached in a holistic manner. For the past ten years, I've done my best  to apply action research so that I'm constantly growing and changing. I shared a tad of this action research in this post and hope to continue sharing as I learn and grow.

Any-who... Enough of my geek talk ... on to the action, right?

1)  Let me clarify by saying when I say assessment I don't just mean paper/pencil tasks. The most authentic and accurate assessments are when students don't even know I'm assessing.




By allowing him to play this game I was able to determine that while he's making progress on C-V-C word, isolating and blending he is unable to hear and break apart initial blends. and short /u/  is still tricky for him. He is a third grade,  ESL student so we've been concentrating on the English alphabet and English alphabetic principles.

This week started a new learning cycle that will last until the semester is up. So my target phonological plans look like this:




2) My phonics target plan will consist of my ESL student  "writing the room" and sorting short a words and my other student having  to find long a, long o. and long e vowel patterns to sort. 

3) My comprehension target plan is retelling and I used the picture matching retell from How Santa Got His Job to gather my formative information. 


We will practice the retell using the sentence strips and pictures together. It looks like this: 







Come back for more target plans and activities on Friday.

Comments

Popular Posts