Literacy Learning Spectrum Weekly Series- Week One

weekly series1

I’m guessing since you are here that you are just as interested in the process we call literacy as I am.  I’m constantly amazed and bewildered by this process and hope to have you join me in this journey  as we attempt to sort out and organize this complex concept so that we can be the best literacy teachers we can be.


Don’t let the word teacher confuse you… If you’re a parent, a grandmother, a grandfather, an aunt, an  uncle,  a brother, a sister - You are a teacher.


I’ll give a brief backstory that will help explain who I am and where I’m coming from. I would love to hear your story, as well. Leave a message in the comments.


I’ve always loved to read. I’ve always loved to write. In fact I was both reading and writing by the time I was 4; still going strong. I became a literacy interventionist 10 years ago. Eleven years ago I was blessed with a daughter who loves to read, too. Seven years ago, I was blessed with a uniquely beautiful daughter who was “labeled” developmentally delayed at 3. She had her very own language until she began working with a speech and language pathologist. She was also diagnosed with proprioceptive sensory disorder, and began seeing an Occupational Therapist at the same time.  I had been working with children who learned differently for years by this time but I became driven to understand the brain, how we develop and how we learn literacy. Thus began my journey of making sense of this complex spectrum we call literacy.  


I’m going to start my journey here because there are so many resources in this one article that lay a foundation for my theories. Next week we will get into How the brain works and how we can use this knowledge to improve our teaching.


(Click to go to article)

Comments

Popular Posts