Passion for Knowledge


I want to start off by thanking all my amazing followers and a offering my apologies for abandoning my blog. I won't offer any excuses but I will offer an explanation. That's what this post is about. Just bear with me, this could be a long one.

School started back in August. Like most years, I started off with BIG IDEAS, goals I wanted to accomplish. I've been working on my Masters for the past 2-3 years and I felt like I hadn't been offering much more than focusing on my kiddos. I felt it was time to contribute to the community and offer more of my support.

I spent a lot of time this summer analyzing the public education system. I won't share the entire list but I do want to let you in on two of the most significant reasons why. Numero uno, my youngest daughter doesn't fit into the public "institutional" school box. (I will explain my reasons for that label in just a moment- please, read on). Numero dos, I'm never satisfied with my teaching. I always feel like I could do better.

Okay, for my first explanation I want to clarify my truth about education. I honestly believe there is not a right or wrong way of teaching/learning. I believe that instinctually we all have an innate desire to learn. It's called survival. I think the idea of public school is ideal and gives many children the opportunity to be a part of a learning community that they may not otherwise have.

I also see the detrimental end, in the political and economical aspect. I agree that teachers should be held responsible for their students' optimal learning. However, "they" make it hard by tying our hands behind are backs and still expect us to meet everyone's needs. It's kind of an oxymoron. We are being bombarded with "data-tracking" and assessing (both very important), which gives us very little time to teach. Let alone meet our students social and emotional needs. (More on that in another post)


My daughter, like more and more of our next generation, has communication difficulties and sensory disorders. I have many theories on this as well, but that's not what this post is about. The public school is not designed for these kids. I think it's headed in the right direction with RTI, PBS, and differentiated instruction but if the "pendulum swings" before we have this embed in public school culture, it won't be long before we're in for a rude awakening.

Enough on that little rant, onto focusing on how I can become a better teacher. For better or worse I would like to share this journey with you because I feel, as educator's we're all pretty much on the same page. I would love to converse with you about your journey, as well so we can learn from one another.

While I don't teach all day, everyday in a regular classroom; I want you to know I do co-teach and help create plans for individual students using agreed upon assessment tools. I'm also responsible for small group literacy interventions in grades K-6. I have gone from having any where from 50-70 students to all 220 students this year. We've switch over from a targeted Title I school to a building wide Title I school. This just basically means we're all Title I, students and staff.

Based on my experience of education over the last 30 years, the teachers I remember most left an emotional mark on me. Each memory invokes an emotion; both positive and negative. Education is not about the content you teach but the process of obtaining knowledge. It's about creating a love of knowledge and sharing the tools to gain that knowledge. It’s about respecting each individual leaner for who they are, giving each the opportunity to learn and grow at their own pace. Not some prescribed “one-size-fits-all” method.

I want to be that teacher for someone. I want my students to think back to their elementary days and say “I found my love for literacy when…” I will instill a passion for knowledge.





Comments

Popular Posts